Monday, March 28, 2011

Proof That God Has a Sense of Humor

As the holidays approach you know things are going to be busy with the hustle and bustle of Christmas. Again I have learned never to think you will just be able to relax in life.

Billy and I were asked to meet with the Bishop - yeah, never a good sign. However, I was loving my calling teaching Relief Society and since Billy was without a calling, I knew it would be for him. Billy told the Bishop how he had been successfully flying "under the radar" when it came to a calling and he was proud of that. The Bishop then asked him to be the Young Men's Secretary. Jokingly I said, "Hear that? That is you no longer off the radar and hitting a mountain." The Bishop asked if I would support him and of course I was thrilled to and knew he would be great. I was excited for him to work with such good kids given his job at the boys home. Plus, Billy just has a gift to connect with teenagers.

We were laughing about it when the Bishop said, "And Billy will you support Amy as our new Primary President?" First, I swear I heard a crash as I symbolically hit the same mountain Billy just did. Then I honestly felt sick to my stomach and my knees buckled, which is hard to do when you are sitting down, but it happened. Primary, are you kidding me? Do you know how many jokes I have told about avoiding Primary and how many times I have said I would rather talk to the Marriott Center full of teenagers than do a Sharing Time? I am terrified of Primary. All I could say to the Bishop was, "are you serious?"

I have worked in Primary once and that was this summer to help out the Presidency because they were short handed. Even then, I was scared to death. I accepted the calling, at least I think I did, things are pretty blurry at that point. Then I tried my best to stand up and walk out. When we got home and were sitting on the bed with Billy reading the Duty to God booklet and me reading the Primary Handbook Billy said, "What just happened? An hour ago we were laughing and had no stress with callings, now look at us! What happened!"

My greatest consolation in this whole thing is that I am going to work with some of the most wonderful women in the world in our Presidency and I am very excited for that. They know the program and are patient and funny so I think I will live, at least until my first Sharing Time. It is good to have people with experience since the Christmas program is two weeks away and they have released 7 people from Primary to re-organize the young women's program, and we start the new year with the new theme and everything.

I bet there is some laughing going on in heaven right now. My grandma who worked in Primary for 24 years straight, so long she has a certificate, must be laughing. Billy and I have once again learned that Heavenly Father loves to make you grow and learn. Should be life changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment